Thursday, November 21, 2013

Entry #2, we are here!


So we are here and my husband totally loves it but after one day of over eating and drinking in the all inclusive we are ready for a water fast tomorrow. Yesterday I met Dra. Mayra de la Garza with my husband and I was able to ask plenty of questions only now I have lots more. We chatted in Spanish which was great for me as I could ask everything and then tell my husband what I wanted him to know and he needs to know (and not all the neurotic questions I was bugging the doctor with).

Basically he needs to go in between Thursday and Saturday (they gave us a cell phone already programmed to the doctor and Tori but I had to go to Walmart to put money on it). I will transfer either three days or five days after fertilization (the day of fertilization is the day of my husband's apt), meaning I'll likely be alone as he returns early for a new job that start next week and I won't be there for him either (sigh). I return on Thursday to an interview that evening, ugh too much going on! If they do a three day it means eggs not so great and they will transfer three or four; if they transfer day five--called blastocysts--it will be two. I asked for Erickson for a boy, it's 80% accurate; it reduces the odds of pregnancy a bit and costs nothing more. PGD is guaranteed, but reduces odds of pregnancy a lot and costs a lot--no brainer!

I will start shots the day of the transfer/fertilization--going to ask doctor or nurse to show my husband how to do the first one. Terrified of shots but after reading about others on the various forums for women in my boat (inspire resolve and ivf.ca) I feel better prepared.

Spanish helps but in weird ways. Most people speak English and want me to also. It helped me ask in Walmart about the phone but was not necessary. My husband was too impatient for the bus to the hospital the first time so we took a taxi which dropped us at the wrong hospital so Spanish helped with directions (he is getting rather spoiled traveling like a tourist). For others who might be following this, Hospital Galenia is a white building (not terra-cotta like the wrong hospital) and it says Galenia on the door. Irega is inside Hospital Galenia and FCC is right across the street. So now I know.

We had "fun" crossing several busy streets on the walk over (about two blocks away) from the wrong hospital. The clinic is gorgeous, once we found it in the hospital, kind of tucked in a corner. Much nicer than my RE's office back home and Dra. Mayra is much more patient with my questions. She had several for me after reviewing my file but everything was there--thanks to Tori being so pesky about all the tests and me having many extra tests to explain the two miscarriages (I did all the testing at the reccommendation of a Dr in Cyprus when we were considering there-- way cheaper than anywhere but no photos of donors, though I was eager to see Istanbul).

They did the vaginal ultrasound and kept looking and I was really fearful my lining was not thick enough but they said it was 9 mm which is good and to keep on the estrace three times a day and I have enough pills (get lots, estradiol is cheap generic) so I did not need the prescription she had. I did go to the pharmacy in the hospital for sunscreen and almost died when it was $43!!! (well less as exchange rate is 12 to 1 and I use a mental 10 to 1) so note to self, big fancy private hospital means supped-up pharmacy charges so I'll find a small drug store. We then went to Walmart and for about $18 got sunscreen (which I still find outrageous but all at home was more than the three ounce travel size). We also got flip flops for my husband (sizes are wonky but I'm used to that, he wears a 10 and got a 28 and I don't know men's sizes well but he should have gotten a 29 or 30, oh well, small flip flops not a big deal). I got lip stick and he got $10 of  after shave which I thought was crazy as I put some for him in a spice jar but he swears it won't be enough. We also got nail clippers and two souvenirs for friends. $70 total; not too bad.

Then the taxis outside Walmart tried to rip us off (I look so gringa in shortish canvas skirt, Sox flip flops and T-shirt) they showed us a chart for 170 pesos to our hotel. My poor husband, but it was on the chart he says. When I gave them the not in this lifetime look they said so whatcdo you want to pay and I said 80 which is what we'd paid to get from hotel to hospital (albeit wrong hospital--but I had a great political conversation with driver on price of gas and a recent teachers' strike) which was probably too much. Then they laughed and I grabbed my husband and headed to the street to go wave down a a taxi to bargain rather than talking to those at the stand. He was still, but it was on chart and I have to tell him, when they show you a chart, you know you are screwed. Then the bus came so we jumped on and we were not charged so I figured we'd pay as we got off but when we did pay (less than $2 for us both) driver seemed surprised, maybe he forgot we did not pay getting on? Anyway, we paid, then sat at swim up pool bar(my first ever) and I had a chelada (green lemonade with beer and salt on rim, yum! My husband had tequila, it was blanco but it was 1800 which is a good brand--reposo and aƱejo are better, means aged.

Here is a photo of a michelada:


So now it is next day and thundering and I'm trying to think of what we should do given the weather. Want to show husband one of the nearby ruins, Chitzen Itza or Tulum but in this weather it's iffy, then I thought snorkeling as rain won't matter, yeah with lightening??? Not thinking too clear here. Sorry for long ramble, trying to let others know what to expect. Oh almost forgot, Tori told me, while my husband was in bathroom, that tonight (yesterday night) was last night for sex, so I told him when he got back and he was peeved and I was but that's what she said and you missed it. So we were talking about that, then about the cell phone and I did not get my copy of the contract so I'll need to do that. Of course he does not realize drinking more makes him go more and of course he was too done in from margaritas to do anything last night. Ugh,what to do with thunder and rain, though if I know Mexico, it will blow over quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment